Tuesday, January 11, 2011

soup update

like i said the other day, to make soup is a goal for this year. why spend so much on canned soup with all it's preservatives when i could "whip it up" myself? i think my first try at soup was a little lofty. i had to laugh that rachel's comment was that i had told her that her making soup looked like too much work. this soup that i made was too much work. it had so many vegetables! first i had to buy all those vegetables. then i chopped them all (which wasn't THAT much work because i used my Quick Chef). but it was still time consuming. then i missed a few ingredients. i figured, "oh well, i'm sure it'll be fine." and this is ALWAYS my problem when cooking - i think that not using all the ingredients will turn out a fine final product. it rarely does. you'd think i'd have learned by now. i ate a couple bowls of my giant soup recipe and then tossed it. i know, i'm a bad person. it was just terrible soup. i could see myself eating any more of it!

so today while perusing the weight watchers recipes online, i found this soup: that's it?
Easy Corn Soup
Place 1/2 cup of frozen, thawed corn niblets in a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup of fat-free chicken broth, 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of cumin; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Puree in a blender and then top with chopped jalapeno, if desired.

that's it? corn, broth, and some spices. it seemed doable so i threw it all in a pot just now and ate it for lunch. and it wasn't bad. a little spicy - maybe i'd do less cumin when i do it again. but if it had been terrible, it would really have been no loss - it was one serving of soup - not a giant pot. single serving soup could begin my success in soup making.

2 comments:

theRachel said...

I so appreciate your honesty as you are figuring out the soup that works for you :)

Megan T said...

I have a good recipe from Real Simple for corn chowder that I'm making today...let me know if you're interested:)